Saturday 13 July 2013

My Mini Mac Lipstick Collection - Swatches & Review

from left to right : Hibiscus, Viva Glam V, Viva Glam Nicki, Speed Dial, Lickable

I thought I'd make a post about my Mac lipsticks as i'm completely in love with Mac and most of their products! I only currently own 5 Mac lipsticks but I'm hoping to grow my collection soon (even thought Mac have just raised their prices to £15 for 1 lipstick!)  
I have only purchased 3 of these directly from a Mac store as honestly, I think they're a rip off! I've got Hibiscus and Viva Glam V from a blogsale for around £7 each which is a much more reasonable price.
How I apply them..
When applying these, to get a neat finish, I usually use a tiny thin eyeliner brush (picture below) and wipe it on the top of the lipstick and outline my lips first by just brushing round the edge of my lip shape with the brush which. I then use the thicker (concealer?) brush (picture below) and wipe it in the lipstick then just fill in my lips carefully to make sure I don't smudge the lipliner. 
If you really can't be bothered with all that, just get the lipstick and apply it directly which is really much easier but I don't think it looks as good. 

Left : eyeliner brush
Right : concealer brush (I think...)

Shades and Swatches

Lickable

This is a Cremesheen finish and my favourite shade out of all 5. Because it's a Cremesheen finish, it goes on so nicely and doesn't dry out your lips at all, unlike the Matte finish ones. It's a deep, blue toned very pigmented pink colour and gives a opaque finish that stays on all day if you blot and reapply once when first putting it on. Like all of Mac's lipsticks, it has their signature vanilla smell which smells amazing! Even though you can't see in the swatch below, Lickable has a faint glittery shimmer which I love.

Lickable swatch

Speed Dial

Speed Dial is also a Cremesheen finish and is my 2nd favourite lipstick, just behind Lickable. I purchased this shade after someone on my Instagram recommended it to me after I said how much I was loving Lickable. Speed Dial is a light (lighter than Lickable) slightly blue based pinky colour and also has a shimmery finish with a slightly less opaque finish than Lickable and therefore doesn't stay on as long. I feel like Speed Dial would suit most skin tones quite nicely!
Speed Dial Swatch

Viva Glam Nicki

This is my least favourite shade out of them all which I hate to say because I love Nicki Minaj, but not the lipstick. It's a Matte finish which is partly why I dislike it, it leaves my lips so dry and doesn't apply very well so leaves the creases of my lips without lipstick or it just comes off very quickly. Another reason I dislike it is the shade, it's a bright (I mean bright..) pink with yellow undertones and really doesn't suit my skin tone at all! Oh well, at least the money for this lipstick all went to charity!

Viva Glam Nicki Swatch

Viva Glam V

This is one of the lipsticks I have purchased from a blogsale which is why there isn't much less as the blogger cut off the top of the lipstick for hygiene. This is my only Lustre finish Mac lipstick (I can't really tell the difference between Lustre and Cremesheen) and is a pinky brown/nude colour. I haven't worn this much as I can't decide whether I suit it or not. It's semi-sheer and is very shimmery and reminds me a bit of a less pink version of Mac's Shy Girl.

 Viva Glam V Swatch

Hibiscus (limited edition shade)

This is another Cremesheen finish and was part of Mac's limited edition Surf Baby collection and is no longer available to buy. I also purchased this one from a blogsale as I loved the colour and packaging but you can't buy new in store. Hibiscus is a bright red-y coral colour and is very pigmented, it also has a slight gold sparkle. It's a very summery shade and is quite sheer, I haven't worn this much as it's so bright! A good dupe for this would be Mac's Cyndi or Rimmel's Coral Queen.

Hibiscus Swatch

And that's it! Please let me know what else you'd like me to blog about via comments below or my Instagram (@studdedpetals)
Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. All the shades are lovely!
    I don't own any mac lipsticks at the moment but I think I might get my first from a blog sale, just so it's a bit cheaper!
    Where's the best place to find blog sales, if you don'y mind me asking?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete